Saturday, February 24, 2007

Annoying UI Change in Firefox 2.0

Firefox 2.0 is out and I upgraded from 1.5.x to 2.0. While closing a tab I realized something was amiss. In 1.5.0 there are two ways to close a tab - each tab is associated with a close button and the tab bar has a close button at its extreme right which is applicable to the most active tab. That is the button I use the most and that is gone from 2.0.



Why do I think this is an annoying change? The old button on the right of the task bar never moved - which meant irrespective of which tab I was on I could aim my mouse over it (a centimeter square area that my hand and wrist manage to reach magically) and close without having to think too much about it. Now, I have to look for the close button and my target has just expanded horizontally to unpredictably include my entire horizontal resolution. Another reason was I could close many consecutive windows one after the other just pressing the button multiple times because the selection automatically moves to the next tab. No longer possible. Arghhh! Hopefully there is a preference somewhere which can get it back - but so far I haven't found it. In its place there is a drop down of all windows to quickly navigate to it.

Well...sigh...I still love Firefox and I'll just use Ctrl+F4 more frequently...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can change the close button behaviour by typing "about:config" in the address bar, and then filter on "closebutton". Try other values of "browser.tabs.closeButtons".

Thor said...

Just install the tabmixplus extension, and you can configure it back again.

Anonymous said...

Try ctrl-w. Its much easier than ctrl-f4

Alexis MP said...

I really wish I could disable Ctrl-W, way too close to Ctrl-X/Ctrl-C on a French keyboard...

Sachin said...

Thanks madsie. The value 3 got the button back.